You just found out that a client needs a SQL database to be designed from scratch. However, you existing DBA has given two week notice. This presentation is meant for the Accidental DBA that has little to no experience with creating Transaction SQL objects. After this presentation, will be ready to meet that clients need. This presentation will review the following topics to get you ready to code.
- How is a view better than ad-hoc SQL?
- Abstracting underlying tables via a view.
- Avoiding DML updates to views.
- Using triggers to enforce business rules.
- Using triggers to prevent data modifications.
- What are the different types of functions?
- Simple use of each type.
- Using stored procedures as an application interface.
- Batch programming using stored procedures.
- How to schedule batch jobs.
John has twenty-five years of data processing and project management experience. His expertise encompasses all phases of the project life cycle, including design, development, implementation, and maintenance of systems. He is currently a Senior Consultant at Atrion Networking Corporation providing customers with Database and Business Intelligence solutions. When he is not busy at PASS events, he spends time with his wife and daughter enjoying outdoor activities.